Monday, February 13, 2012

Child's rocking chair Part 1

Saturday morning I went to an estate sale. This child's rocker was in a box and four dollars. I hemmed and hawed about the issue and finally bought it. One of the rockers was split. I figured that I could repair it. Rockers are tricky to repair but they are not the worst thing in the world. When I got it home and started inspecting the joint I realized that it had split because the wood was worm eaten and soft. You could lift the piece and a fine wood dust would fall out. I decided that this would take two pins one from the top and one from the bottom. Because the wood was delicate I decided to use the hand drill. I then drilled out and pegged my break. It was then that I realized that if my break was fixed I would have a hard time fitting in my stretcher. So I stopped and prepared the whole piece for glue up. Then two hours later I had the whole buisness clamped up. It was a good time to quit because I had to get ready to go to work at the auction.

This is the chair seat "in the black" 

This is the fracture on the rocker. That is also my hand drill. I only managed to crush a little finger skin in it this time. Also in this picture is an antique hand c-clamp I picked up a few years ago. My workbench is an old sink vanity set I pulled out of a rubbish tip seven years ago. 

Another view of the seat. I am lucky that nothing on it needed repair. The arms appear to be hand carved.  

This is the broken rocker in the vise ready to be drilled. The pins worked pretty well but I still thought the joint was too weak. 

This is the start of the glue up. 

In this picture you can see the rot. I stabilised the wood, but its pretty weak here. You can see the worm holes in this picture as well. This oak dowel is proud and later I cut it down with my flush cut saw. 

Here is the whole child's rocker after reassembly and glue up. I let it sit here for several hours so the glue could set. 

This picture is out of order, but here are some stretchers. I ended up pulling them all apart so I could re-glue the joints. 


This picture shows the other side of the rocker in the vise. The next step was to drill it out to insert a pin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment