Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Louise Brigham’s Box Furniture

This is an interesting article on part of the early arts and crafts movement in America that I was not aware of.  While a student I desperately wanted to have a nice house interior and I used the modern boxes that were available, the milk crate. They lacked the style found in these wooden boxes.  I even at one time had a chest o' drawers (without the drawers) made from cardboard boxes. One chap I know in town is collecting box wine boxes to make his couch out of. Well, hopefully those days are done for me and I can have some nicer antique furniture for the home, however the social implications of this book are fun for me to think about. I am sure that many a piece of 'box furniture' if it has survived has been sold as a 'primitive' (a questionable and classist term that needs to be dealt with in the future).  At any rate I am going to try and track down her book or a reprint because I want to peruse it. I figure that will be time well spent.

Well the good news is that my university's library has a copy and it is just in the stacks. This means I can go and pick it up this afternoon. No special permissions, collections or anything. Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment