Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Child's Rocker Part 2

Well the Child's Rocker got finished Sunday night. I just had not updated blog on the process. After the Clamps were off for the glue up I flush cut the proud dowels. I still worried that the joint would not hold so I decided to go ahead and attach some repair bars to the rocker. A better woodworker would probably not have to do this but I was afraid of them breaking if the rocker got any hard wear in the future. I bent one and place it across the top, another two went across the sides of the break. I then painted these with some enamel paint to match the colour of the wood. This was a brown base with a streaked black to mimic the shellac that is the original finish.  Having sat in a barn or garage for so long the whole piece had to be cleaned. I did this with a little Murphy's Oil Soap. After this dried I coated the finish in a good furniture wax. I prefer Mylands Furniture Wax because I believe of all the waxes I have tried it best matches the quality and tone of antique finishes. The wax glazed over and was given a light hand buffing. All the spindles made this quite a long job but not a particularly hard one.  These pictures were taken at night but in the daylight the colour of the wood is extraordinary. 


The finished chair. 

The chair before cleaning. You can see all the dust on the seat and rails. 

The repair bar before painting.

The chair before cleaning and waxing.

This is the repair bar with the coat of brown enamel. 

The good ole' flush cut saw.


The chair after cleaning.

Paint and other things. 

The repair bar with the black streaks added. 

It's ready for resale. Now I just have to figure out what to do with this piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment