Thursday, January 05, 2012

Use value in Antiques


Use value

Use value is the cost of an object because it has a use. Use value can be the value in wanting an object, but we are going to focus more on the utility of the object as our ‘useful’ form of use value.
Consider hand cranked meat grinders.

I see a lot of these and generally pass them up. Mainly because I don’t know anything about them.  However, they sell well in the vintage markets. Why? They may have some sort of industrial ascetics but in truth I think they sell because they have use value. (or at least perceived use value)

Many antique objects have use value. They can be used. Furniture is a good example. An art deco dresser can still be used as a dresser.  

I like to buy antiques for myself and retail that have use value.  I think they are more likely to sell. 
Except furniture and some high-end metal objects use value helps to move objects for the reseller.
Decorator and craft magazines help identify for the dealer current trends in use value.

Three years ago I couldn’t move milk glass for the world. Recently decorator magazines have been showing it in table decorations and tableaus. It is selling well in my area now. I still wont buy it but that is because of my personal rule “Don’t buy glass” I may write about that rule later.

I started in this business because of use value.  I could go to Lowes and buy a Chinese made hammer for 20 dollars or I could buy a used hammer for eight. Not only do I end up with a vintage object but I also end up with an object with use value.

If you have an object that has use value then I think you have a higher chance of reselling it.

Some exceptions:
            Vintage appliances-never had any luck with these. I know there are collectors that get these for non-use value but not in my area.

            Some use value objects-such as large case clocks or jewelry are sought for their exchange value or ascetic value more than their use value even though they do have use value. 

No comments:

Post a Comment