Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Post the First

I run a blog about silver and silver plate here: http://silverandsilverplate.blogspot.com
but I did not get the chance to post there as often as I would like. This is mainly because my time and experience in the world of antiques has changed a bit and expanded a lot. That blog is a bit too constricting for that experience. Its more 'academic' and research oriented and focused on a single subject. I needed a space to talk more openly about the life of the dealer,picker, researcher, hustler part of the trade so I created this blog. I wish I had done it sooner. I would not expect too many long post here but snippets of my work. Pictures of cool stuff I find and the like.  I can't say I do this professionally, though there are some months when my work in antiques eclipses my salary from the university where I work. So where do i fit in in the world of antiques?

Well, I am not in the world of fine antiques. Though I would like to be and am working hard to move towards that. Start up capital and recognition/reputation seem to be the key factors here.

I work in an area of small antiques/vintage and sometimes just junk. The buyers I have seem to like my eye, and right now that's where I am. Some of that is the geographic area I live in.

I have a booth, you know antique mall type place and do fairly well there.

I sell directly to dealers.

I work at an auction house a good solid firm but nothing fancy.

Mainly I turned a hobby I was spending money on into a way to make a little extra money to spend on the hobby I was spending it on.

Plus it keeps me busy on weekends.

My professional training is in Semiotics and ethnography and I get the chance to use both. I like tothink of this blog as a type of 'field notes'.

I get to think business strategies something I enjoy.

Most importantly I get to think about and play with the material goods of the past.

At any rate I hope you enjoy.

R.E. Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment