Sunday, January 08, 2012

Flea market.

One of the places I hunt for antiques is the local flea market. It is a mix of junk, trash, household goods and various detritus of mankind. Sometimes there are good things to be had. Sometimes I can spend a couple hours looking around to find nothing. There are a few dealers there that do have nicer material, but I rarely buy from them because they already took their premium from buying previously. This means that I cannot profit from the resell. As you can see, in some places there is some digging to be done.

On this day my best find was a hand bound book from the Roycrofters. Not a rare one, but a good condition version of Elbert Hubbard's Scrap Book. I picked it up for five dollars, and believe I can sell it for a little more. I also was supposed to pick up some Charter Oak silverware, but the chap that was supposed to bring it forgot it at home.
One thing I forgot to mention is how often I have to stop and wash my hands here. Not five minutes after I arrived I picked up a Navy WWII issue syrup pitcher and got sticky crap all over them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment